Saturday, August 16, 2014

Our Killifish babies are growing!

We decided to take the rock tunnel out of the tank because Aaron thought it prevented the circulation of water from flowing freely which prevents dirt and old food getting sucked up by the filter. All the babies were also hiding between the rocks of the tunnel and we could never see them so for now, we took out the tunnel. I made Aaron compromise and get Java Fern because we've had great success with them and I wanted them to have at least some hiding spaces. While we took out the rock tunnel, we were still only able to see only a couple and they move really fast but we were able to take a picture of one of them!





This is our java fern from Petsmart. It cost $7.99 I think... They just got a shipment of them yesterday so we got a nice big one! The babies are all hiding in the java fern so I couldn't find any of them to take a pic of. :(


I found another egg that is ready to hatch! You can tell because you can see it's eyes. There was another one but I couldn't really take a good pic of it..

We are hatching our own brine shrimp to feed them and made our own bs (brine shrimp) hatchery! We used bottles (soda bottles, water bottles, etc) but we could only find a small one on such short notice. Our favorite bottle (well at least mine) is the Archer Farms electrolyte infused water bottle. I believe they only sell these at Target since it is a Target brand.


It is very tall as you can see and it is a decent width. Next time, I'll write up a post on how to make your own bs hatchery. It's very simple and easy to do. The reason you need bottles or at least something with a cone shaped edge is because you need to be able to push air throughout the bottle and with a flat bottom, the bs eggs won't tumble around the bottle evenly. The reason I like this bottle is because I feel everything fits and connects perfectly. I'll get into all the details next time though. ^^

You can follow me on instagram: @jwk92
Thank youuu!

No comments:

Post a Comment